Thermo Scientific UltraLink Iodoacetyl Resin is a durable, porous resin that is activated to enable efficient and direct covalent immoblization of peptides and other ligands through their sulfhydryl groups (-SH) for use in affinity purification procedures.
The beaded resin is a hydrophilic copolymer of polyacrylamide and azlactone having a rigid polymeric structure with high surface area and pore volume. Each azlactone group has been modified to form a 15-atom spacer arm that terminates in an iodoacetyl group, which is capable of reacting with sulfhydryl groups (e.g., side chain of reduced cysteine residues) to covalently immobilize peptide or other sulfhydryl-containing ligands. The bead structure and efficiently coupling chemistry of Iodoacetyl-Activated UltraLink Support results in high protein binding capacity, high linear flow rates, low nonspecific binding and overall superior performance in affinity chromatography. UltraLink Resins are ideal for medium pressure applications such as FPLC.
- High coupling efficiency and capacity – immobilizes sulfhydryl-containing proteins or other ligands with high efficiency and coupling capacity in 1 hour
- Specific and leak-proof coupling chemistry – reacts specifically with sulfhydryl groups (reduced thiols), resulting in thioether bonds that are stable for use in many affinity purification procedures
- Simple coupling conditions – perform immobilization reaction in any of a variety of buffers; coupling is most efficient and specific at pH 8.0-8.5; coupling compatible with or without organic solvent
- Excellent reusability – prepared affinity resin can be used with typical binding and elution procedures for many cycles of affnity purification without significant loss of binding capacity
- Durable, high-performance resin – porous beads have a 60 µm diameter, can withstand 100 psi (6.9 bar) and allow for linear flow-through rates of 3,000 cm/hour
Properties of UltraLink Iodoacetyl Resin:
- Alternate names: 3M Emphaze Biosupport Medium AB1
- Matrix: Polyacrylamide/azlactone copolymer derivatized with iodoacetyl groups
- Particle size: 50 to 80µm diameter
- Maximum pressure: 100 psi (6.9 bar)
- Maximum linear flow rate: 3000cm/hour
- Coupling capacity: > 6mg of reduced human IgG per ml of settled resin
- Leaving group in coupling reaction: Hydrogen iodide
- Bond formed: Thioether bond
- Spacer arm: 15 atoms
- Ju, T., et al. (2002) J. Biol. Chem. 277:169-77.
- Ju, T., et al. (2002) J. Biol. Chem. 277:178-86.
- Kornfeld, R., et al. (1998) J. Biol. Chem. 273:23202-10.
- Liu, L.A., and Engvall, E. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274:38171-6.
- Bicknell, Andrew B., et al. (2001). Cell. 105:903-12.
- Magdesian, M.H., et al. (2001). J. Biol. Chem. 276:19382-9.
Review of affinity purification
Review of covalent immobilization methods
Sulfhydryl-reactive crosslinker chemistry
Ultralink Biosupport (amine-reactive)
UltraLink Hydrazide Support (glycoprotein-reactive)
Ultralink EDC/DADPA Support (carboxyl-reactive)
SulfoLink Coupling Resin (beaded agarose)