Thermo Scientific UltraLink Biosupport is a durable, azlactone-activated, beaded-polyacrylamide resin to covalently immobilize proteins and other primary amine biomolecules for preparation of affinity purification columns.
UltraLink Biosupport is an alternative to CNBr- and NHS-activated agarose resins for immobilizing antibodies and other proteins to prepare affinity columns. The beaded resin is a hydrophilic copolymer of polyacrylamide and azlactone having a rigid polymeric structure with high surface area and pore volume. The azlactone groups react rapidly and efficiently with primary amines (e.g., side chain of lysine residues) to covalently immobilize protein or other amine-containing ligands. The bead structure and efficient coupling chemistry of UltraLink Biosupport results in high protein binding capacity, high linear flow rates, low nonspecific binding and overall superior performance in affinity chromatography. UltraLink Resins are ideal for medium pressure applications such as FPLC.
- High coupling efficiency and capacity – immobilizes proteins with very high efficiency and coupling capacity in 1 hour
- Specific and leak-proof coupling chemistry – reacts specifically with primary amines (-NH2), resulting in amide bonds that are stable for use in many affinity purification procedures; coupling reaction has no leaving group to contaminate samples
- Easy to use – no pre-swelling or secondary reagents required; simply weigh the needed amount of dry support and add the ligand solution to initiate coupling reaction
- Flexible coupling conditions – perform immobilization reaction in any of a variety of non-amine buffers and pH levels; coupling is most efficient in buffers containing a lyotropic salt such as sodium citrate; coupling compatible with or without organic solvent
- Excellent reusability – prepared affinity resin can be used with typical binding and elution procedures for over 100 cycles of affnity purification without significant loss of binding capacity
- Durable, high-performance resin – porous beads have a 60µm diameter, can withstand 100 psi (6.9 bar) and allow for linear flow-through rates of 3000cm/hour
|Immobilization chemistry of Thermo Scientific UltraLink Biosupport. Azlactone groups of the activated acrylamide-based resin react spontaneously with primary amines on proteins or other ligands to form highly stable amide bonds, conjugating the molecule by a 5-atom spacer arm. Learn more about amine-reactive immobilization supports.
Properties of UltraLink Biosupport:
- Alternate names: 3M Emphaze Biosupport Medium AB1
- Matrix: Polyacrylamide/azlactone copolymer
- Particle size: 50 to 80µm diameter
- Maximum pressure: 100 psi (6.9 bar)
- Maximum linear flow rate: 3000cm/hour
- Coupling capacity: at least 18mg of myoglobin per mL of settled resin
- Leaving group in coupling reaction: None
- Bond formed: Amide bond
- Spacer arm: 5 atoms
- Ju, T., et al. (2002) J. Biol. Chem. 277:169-77.
- Ju, T., et al. (2002) J. Biol. Chem. 277:178-86.
- Kornfeld, R., et al. (1998) J. Biol. Chem. 273:23202-10.
- Liu, L.A., and Engvall, E. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274:38171-6.
Review of affinity purification
Review of covalent immobilization methods
BupH Citrate-MOPS Buffer Packs – and other BupH Buffer Packs
Ultralink Iodoacetyl Support (sulfhydryl-reactive)
Ultralink EDC/DADPA Support (carboxyl-reactive)
All Affinity Supports for Ligand Immobilization
Ligands on UltraLink Support: