Thermo Scientific Pierce SMPH is an amine-to-sulfhydryl crosslinker that contains NHS-ester and maleimide reactive groups at opposite ends of a long spacer arm (14.2 angstroms).
- Reactive groups: NHS ester and maleimide
- Reactive towards: amino and sulfhydryl groups
- Slightly longer and more soluble than SMPB
- NHS ester reacts with primary amines at pH 7-9, forming a stable amide bond
- Maleimide reacts with -SH groups at pH 6.5-7.5, forming a stable thioether bond
- Water-insoluble (dissolve first in DMF or DMSO)
|Chemical structure of SMPH crosslinking reagent.
- Rector, E.S., et al. (1978). A method for the preparation of protein-protein conjugates of predetermined composition. J. Immuno. Methods 24, 321-336.
Crosslinker Application Guide -- search for recent literature references for this product
Overview of crosslinking
Chemistry of crosslinking
Crosslinkers at a glance (selection guide)