Thermo Scientific Slide-A-Lyzer Concentrating Solution effectively decreases the volume of samples by hygroscopically removing water from the sample through ordinary dialysis.
Slide-A-Lyzer Concentrating Solution contains a proprietary, high-purity and high molecular-weight compound that osmotically absorbs water across dialysis membrane to rapidly concentrate samples without the risk of contaminating the sample. Unlike typical homemade formulations, this concentrating solution does not contain any contaminants that can permeate dialysis membranes that have molecular-weight cutoffs (MWCO) less than 12,000 daltons. Slide-A-Lyzer Concentrating Solution is ideally suited for use with Slide-A-Lyzer Dialysis Cassettes and MINI Units (up to 10K MWCO membrane only). Simply place the cassette containing the sample in a small plastic bag with sufficient concentrating solution to cover the cassette (usually about three times the sample volume). Then leave the bag on the lab bench and check periodically until the sample volume has decreased to the desired level.
- Concentrate by dialysis – minimizes protein loss and enables buffer-exchange and volume reduction by using a single device to perform dialysis and concentration
- Rapid sample concentration – decreases volume of a 3mL sample to 0.5mL (6-fold concentration) in about 75 minutes
- Simple procedure – just pour the Slide-A-Lyzer Concentrating Solution into a small plastic bag (provided) and drop in a Slide-A-Lyzer Dialysis Cassette (or other sealed dialysis device) containing the sample
- No centrifuge required – room-temperature benchtop or rocking-platform protocol eliminates the need for centrifugation
- Clear, visible progress – because both the concentrating solution and the bag are clear, the sample concentration can be easily monitored, something that is not possible with closed-system centrifuge devices or drying resins
By diffusion and osmosis, the water and other small molecules are drawn out of the dialysis unit into the bag containing the concentrating solution. Because of the large molecular size of the concentrating solution compound, it does not cross the membrane and enter the inside of the dialysis chamber. Therefore, a one-way movement of water and other small molecules out of the dialysis chamber results in a more concentrated sample.
||Rapid and effective sample concentration. The Slide-A-Lyzer Concentrating Solution quickly reduces a starting volume of 3mL of sample inside the Slide-A-Lyzer Dialysis Cassette to 0.5mL in about 50 minutes.
Note: Slide-A-Lyzer Concentrating Solution is not recommended for use with dialysis membranes greater than 10K MWCO.
Review of dialysis methods for protein research (and Technical Handbook)
Dialysis Products Selection Guide
Desalting Products Selection Guide
Ready-to-use buffers for protein methods