The Thermo Scientific myECL Imager is a stylish, powerful and easy-to-use blot and gel documentation instrument for sensitive, multimode image capture and analysis via an intuitive touchscreen interface and advanced integrated software.
The myECL Imager revolutionizes image acquisition of protein and nucleic acid blots and gels detected via chemiluminescent, colorimetric or UV light-activated fluorescent substrates or stains. The compact benchtop instrument uses UV and visible light transillumination, specialized filters and advanced CCD camera technology to capture images with high sensitivity and dynamic range. The large, 10.4-inch touchscreen and on-board computer provide an elegant user-interface to program acquisition settings and manage (store and share) image files. Also included with the instrument is a five-computer license for the Thermo Scientific myImageAnalysis Software, a complete and powerful analysis tool.
|Videos that demonstrate capturing images using the Chemi, UV and Vis modes.
- One-touch image acquisition – press any one of several optimized presets in each mode and the imager does all the rest; no focusing or camera settings need to be adjusted
- Multi-exposure feature – automatically capture a series of images using up to five different preset or user-defined exposure times
- Automatic visible image capture – system automatically takes a corresponding visible image with every chemiluminescent image exposure; allows overlay alignment with prestained MW markers
- Remote Tech Support access – share your myECL Imager screen in a live session with Technical Support to receive immediate help while using the instrument
- Live camera setting – in any mode see a live view of the illuminated platform on the display screen while the door is open so you can place and center the sample
- Shoot-and-review convenience – imager keeps the last five captured images immediately available in on-screen tabs so you can quickly review, compare, choose and make adjustments to results
- Interactive Chemi – automatically calculates the exposure time of a Western blot with maximum dynamic range and minimal pixel saturation from a short, 15-second exposure image
- File manager – easily copies, deletes, exports and edits image information of one or more image files in multiple gallery folders
- Create dark and bias images – creates new dark and bias master files to compensate for noise coming from the CCD camera during image acquisition
- Adjust image – adjust the black, white and gamma levels of acquired images to increase sample visibility
- Intensity display – select a point of interest on the acquired image to view the pixel intensity and pixel coordinates of the corresponding region
The myECL Imager ships equipped with 306nm bulbs in the UV transilluminator and the Orange Filter installed in Filter Position 2 (necessary for ethidium bromide and SYPRO* Orange stains). Also included are the following accessories: Chemiluminescence Exposure Screen, White Light Conversion Screen, UV Exposure Screen, Imaging Reference Target, Touchscreen Stylus with Holder, 2GB USB Flash Drive, User Manuals and Quick Start Guides. Each imager purchase also includes a five-computer network license for the myImageAnalysis Software. The instrument ships with a North American power cord; also available are country-specific power cords.
Applications: Image acquisition and analysis for...
- Chemiluminescent Western blots (ECL substrates)
- Stained protein gels (coomassie, silver, UV light-excited fluorescent stains)
- Chemiluminescent nucleic acid blots (e.g., EMSA and Southern blotting using biotin probes, streptavidin-HRP and ECL substrates)
- Stained nucleic acid gels (ethidium bromide and other UV light-excited fluorescent stains)
||16-bit, 4.2 megapixel; thermoelectrically regulated at -25°C (±0.1)
|Array size (pixels)
||2048 x 2048
||7.4 x 7.4µm
|Field of view
||15.0cm x 15.0cm
||>4.0 orders of magnitude
||1 x 1, 2 x 2, 3 x 3 (default), 4 x 4, 8 x 8
|Image capture modes
||Chemiluminescence, UV transilluminator, epi-white light
|Image exposure modes
||Automatic or manual
|Image file format
||TIFF (16-bit grayscale)
||306nm UV transilluminator; Epi-white light
||Motorized, 4 position
||Internal with 250 GB hard drive†
||3 USB, 1 network
|Instrument size, L x W x H
||56cm x 31cm x 53cm (22in x 12.2in x 21in)
|†Approximately 200 GB are available for storage of acquired images, providing storage for more than 200,000 image files captured using the default image acquisition setting (3 x 3 binning).
The powerful and easy-to-use myECL Imager delivers a complete set of high sensitivity Western blot and gel documentation tools through a streamlined and intuitive touchscreen interface, convenient acquisition options, and analysis software supplied with the instrument. The myECL Imager incorporates advanced CCD technology that results in greater than two times the sensitivity of X-ray film and 10 times the dynamic range. The imager can be used in chemiluminescent, ultraviolet and visible modes to image Western blots, stained nucleic acid gels or stained protein gels.
The instrument is controlled with an easy-to-use touchscreen interface that simplifies image acquisition. Researchers can set custom exposure ranges with up to five different exposure times or use preset versions. Images are stored to an internal drive in a nonproprietary data format for easy sharing. The file management system has sort and search functionalities to find locally saved images. Files are easily transferred to any computer using one of three USB ports and the included 2GB Flash Drive or through the Ethernet connection at the back of the instrument.
Analyze images by adjusting display settings (saturation, invert, contrast) on-screen with the imager to ensure that the captured data are of suitable quality for the intended use. Then, once the original image is transferred to another computer that is running the myImageAnalysis Software, it can be fully analyzed to identify lanes and bands, overlay molecular weight markers, calculate molecular weights, measure densitometry, etc.
The myECL Imager is easier to set up and use than most instruments of its type, allowing researchers to adapt and use the new technology quickly without the need for an engineering visit. The imager eliminates the need for a darkroom, replacing it with a machine that has a small footprint. Unlike film, the myECL Imager does not require the use of silver-containing chemicals that require hazardous materials handling and disposal.
|View Quick Start Guide.
For complete user manual,
see Instructions (below).
Hommema, E., et al. (2013). Improved Western blot detection using CCD digital imaging: Comparison of cooled-CCD digital imaging versus X-ray film. App. Note 1602635. Thermo Fisher Scientific, Rockford, IL.
Download free trial of the myImageAnalysis Software
Country-specific and Replacement Power Cords
SuperSignal West Dura Chemiluminescent Substrate
Pierce ECL Plus Substrate
Protein Gel Stains
Protein Ladders (MW Markers)