Thermo Scientific Pierce MPBH is a long, maleimide-and-hydrazide crosslinker for conjugating sulfhydryls (cysteines) to carbonyls (aldehyde or ketones, such as those formed by oxidation of glycoprotein carbohydrates).
- Reactive groups: maleimide and hydrazide
- Reactive towards: sulfhydryl groups and carbonyl (aldehyde) groups
- Long (17.9A), sulfhydryl-to-aldehyde crosslinker with an aromatic ring in its spacer arm (noncleavable)
- Maleimide group reacts with sulfhydryl groups to form stable thioether linkages
- Hydrazide group conjugates to oxidized sugars of glycoproteins and carbohydrates
- Use sodium meta-periodate to oxidize glycosylation (e.g., sialic acid) to reactive aldehyde groups
- Use with EDC to conjugate primary amine of hydrazide group to carboxyl groups
|Chemical structure of MPBH crosslinking reagent.
- Chamow, S.M., Kogan, T.P., Peers, D.H., Hastings, R.C., Byrn, R.A. and Askenaszi, A. (1992). Conjugation of soluble CD4 without loss of biological activity via a novel carbohydrate-directed crosslinking reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 267(22), 15916-15922.
Crosslinker Application Guide -- search for recent literature references for this product
Overview of crosslinking
Chemistry of crosslinking
Protein glycosylation technical guide
Crosslinkers at a glance (selection guide)