Thermo Scientific Pierce Lane Marker Sample Buffers are ready-to-use 5X SDS-PAGE sample loading buffers, available in reducing and nonreducing formulations, with a pink dye buffer-front marker.
Lane Marker Reducing and Non-Reducing Sample Buffers are convenient and ready to use for SDS-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) and Western blotting. Formulated as 5X stocks rather than the traditional 2X stocks, they enable a larger volume of protein solution to be included in the sample that is loaded in each well. Particularly unique in these buffers is the use of a bright pink tracking dye instead of the traditional bromophenol blue dye. This pink dye marks not only the dye front in the gel but also transfers and permanently binds to nitrocellulose membranes. Consequently, the dye can be used to assess transfer efficiency and align cut membranes. The Reducing Sample Buffer contains DTT as the reducing agent, eliminating the repugnant odor associated with mercaptoethanol-containing buffers.
- Easy to see – bright pink dye marks the buffer front, clearly indicating the progress of the electrophoresis run
- Concentrated – 5X stocks enable a greater range of protein sample volumes to be used for electrophoresis
- Transferable marker dye – pink dye transfers with protein to nitrocellulose membrane, enabling verification of transfer direction and orientation of the blot
- Flexibility in SDS-PAGE applications – available in two ready-to-use formulations for reducing or non-reducing denaturing SDS polyacrylamide electrophoresis
Lane Marker Sample Buffers are easy to use. Simply mix one part Sample Buffer with four parts protein sample, heat denature, and then load the gel sample wells. Visualize progress of the electrophoresis run by monitoring the location of the pink dye front. Lane Marker Sample Buffers may be used in denaturing gels of all kinds and are compatible with coomassie dye and silver staining techniques, as well as Western blotting procedures.
Protocol summary for use of Lane Marker Sample Buffers.
- Equilibrate Lane Marker Sample Buffer to room temperature.
- Mix one volume Sample Buffer with four volumes protein sample (e.g., 5µL Sample Buffer plus 20µL protein sample).
- Boil sample for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cool sample to room temperature.
- Load sample onto gel and perform the electrophoresis.
- Stop electrophoresis when pink dye nears bottom of gel.
Note: These products are not compatible with fluorescent detection systems. (The pink tracking dye fluoresces strongly.)
Protein Molecular Weight Markers – product comparison and selection guide
Protein Gel Stains and Kits – choose a compatible gel stain
Precise Protein Gels – browse all pre-cast gels for SDS-PAGE
BupH Dry Blend Electrophoresis Buffers – Tris-HEPES-SDS and other pouched electrophoresis buffers
Reducing Agents – 2-mercaptoethanol, DTT, TCEP and other reducing agents
Western blotting substrates and reagents – find kits, stripping buffers, blotting membranes and film