Thermo Scientific Pierce GMBS is an amine-to-sulfhydryl crosslinker that contains NHS-ester and maleimide reactive groups at opposite ends of a short spacer arm (7.3 angstroms).
- Reactive groups: NHS ester and maleimide
- Reactive toward: amino and sulfhydryl groups
- C4-homolog of aliphatic spacer series which includes AMAS, BMPS, GMBS and EMCS
- NHS ester end couples with primary amines at pH 7-9 to form stable amide bonds
- Maleimides react with -SH groups at pH 6.5-7.5, forming stable thioether linkages
- Water-insoluble (dissolve first in DMF or DMSO); compare to Sulfo-GMBS
- Short aliphatic spacer has low potential for eliciting an immune response
|Chemical structure of GMBS crosslinking reagent.
- Chrisey, L.A., et al. (1996). Nucleic Acids Res. 24(15), 3031-3039.
- Fujiwara, K., et al. (1988). J. Immunol. Meth. 112, 77-83.
Crosslinker Application Guide -- search for recent literature references for this product
Overview of crosslinking
Chemistry of crosslinking
Crosslinkers at a glance (selection guide)