Thermo Scientific Pierce EMCS is an amine-to-sulfhydryl crosslinker that contains NHS-ester and maleimide reactive groups at opposite ends of a medium-length spacer arm (9.4 angstroms).
- Reactive groups: NHS ester and maleimide
- Reactive towards: amino and sulfhydryl groups
- C6-homolog of aliphatic spacer series which includes AMAS, BMPS, GMBS and EMCS
- NHS ester end couples with primary amines at pH 7-9 to form stable amide bonds
- Maleimides react with -SH groups at pH 6.5-7.5, forming stable thioether linkages
- Water-insoluble (dissolve first in DMF or DMSO); compare to Sulfo-EMCS
- Increased sphere of coupling vs. GMBS
- Short aliphatic spacer has low potential for eliciting an immune response
|Chemical structure of EMCS crosslinking reagent.
- Fujiwara, K., et al. (1988). J. Immunol. Methods 112, 77-83.
- Peeters, J.M., et al. (1989). J. Immunol. Methods 120, 133-143.
Crosslinker Application Guide -- search for recent literature references for this product
Overview of crosslinking
Chemistry of crosslinking
Crosslinkers at a glance (selection guide)