Thermo Scientific Pierce Chloronaphthol (4-CN) Substrates are powders, tablets and ready-made solutions of 4-chloro-1-naphthol for chromogenic detection of horseradish peroxidase (HRP) activity in Western blot and tissue staining methods.
Chloronaphthol (4-CN, MW = 178.6) reacts with HRP to form a distinct blue to blue-purple product to localize and visualize the activity of peroxidase-conjugated antibodies on blots or fixed tissue samples. The HRP substrate is not as sensitive or stable as other chromogenic substrates, such as TMB and DAB. However, the blue-purple precipitate photographs well, and its alcohol-solubility is a property that can be utilized in certain double-staining applications.
- HRP substrate – for detection of horseradish peroxidase activity on solid media
- Chromogenic – no special equipment needed for visualization
- Blue-purple – easy to photograph in color or black-and-white
- Package options – choose powder, tablets, or ready-to-use solution
Highlights of Pierce CN Solution (Part No. 34012):
- Ready-to-use – no ethanol or methanol required to dissolve; no dilution necessary for use
- Complete – does not require buffer or addition of hydrogen peroxide (Part No. 34062)
- Pre-filtered – does not need to be filtered before use like powders or tablets after they are dissolved
- Stable – store refrigerated at 4°C for at least one year
Pierce Stable Peroxide Buffer (10X)