Thermo Scientific Pierce BM(PEG)2 and BM(PEG)3 are bismaleimide-activated PEG compounds for crosslinking between sulfhydryl (–SH) groups in proteins and other thiol molecules.
The maleimide groups at either end of the PEG2 or PEG3 spacer react specifically and efficiently with reduced sulfhydryls at pH 6.5-7.5 to form stable thioether bonds.
- Reactive groups: maleimide (both ends)
- Reactive towards: sulfhydryl groups
- Long, pegylated, sulfhydryl-to-sulfhydryl crosslinkers, composed of maleimide groups and 2- or 3-unit polyethylene glycol spacer arm
- PEG spacers provide unique advantages, including enhanced solubility, increased stability, reduced tendency toward aggregation and reduced immunogenicity
- Pure compounds with defined structure and molecular weight, ensuring reproducible protein-modification effects
- Ideal for small molecule or peptide conjugations
|Chemical structures of BM(PEG)2 and BM(PEG)3 crosslinking reagents. Thermo Scientific Pierce BM(PEG)2 is a pegylated crosslinker having the form maleimide-PEG-maleimide for conjugation between sulfhydryl groups (e.g., cysteines) via a two-unit polyethylene glycol (PEG) spacer arm (14.7 angstroms). Thermo Scientific Pierce BM(PEG)3 has a three-unit polyethylene glycol (PEG) spacer arm (17.8 angstroms).
Alternative Names for BM(PEG)n:
Crosslinker Application Guide -- search for recent literature references for this product
Overview of crosslinking
Chemistry of crosslinking
PEGylation technical guide (and selection guide)
Crosslinkers at a glance (selection guide)
Bioconjugate Techniques (book)