The Thermo Scientific Mammalian β-Galactosidase Assay Kit provides a simple colorimetric method for lysing cultured mammalian cells and measuring beta-Gal activity.
The Assay Reagent and Kit comprise a simple and versatile assay system for measuring β-galactosidase activity. Mammalian cells grown on a plate may be lysed and tested for β-galactosidase activity by adding a single, all-in-one lysis-and-assay solution. Alternatively, the included Thermo Scientific M-PER Mammalian Protein Extraction Reagent may be used to prepare lysate from washed adherent or pelleted cells, and then a portion of the lysate used to quantitate the β-Gal activity. With M-PER Reagent, there is no need to scrape cells or to perform freeze-thaw cycles. The remaining lysates prepared with M-PER Reagent may be used for applications such as reporter assays (luciferase, β-galactosidase and chloramphenical acetyltransferase), protein kinase assays (PKA, PKC, and Tyrosine Kinase), immunoassays (Western blot, ELISA, RIA) and protein purification.
- Choose stand-alone assay reagent or complete kit for cell lysis and detection
- Colorimetric assay easily measured in a plate reader or spectrophotometer (405nm)
- Adaptable to 96-well microplates or tube assay formats
- Perform homogeneous screening assays or measure activity secondarily after cell lysis
- Also compatiible with prepared lysates from other species such as bacteria
||Performance comparison of beta-galactosidase assays. C6 cells expressing β-galactosidase were grown in 96-well plates. Cells were lysed and assayed using Thermo Scientific M-PER Mammalian Protein Extraction Reagent and Pierce β-Gal Assay Reagent or corresponding Supplier X reagents. Reactions were stopped with 150μL of Stop Solution provided in each kit, and absorbances were measured at 405nm using a plate-reading spectrophotometer.
Comparison of beta-galactosidase assay kit protocols. The Thermo Scientific Mammalian β-Galactosidase Assay Kit uses the all-in-one Pierce β-Gal Assay Reagent that streamlines the traditional procedures used by other commercially available kits.
|Thermo Scientific Kit
||Supplier X Kit
- Remove media from plate.
- Add Pierce β-Gal Assay Reagent and incubate at 37°C for 30min.
- Stop reaction (optional).
- Measure absorbance at 405nm.
- Remove media from plate.
- Wash cells twice with PBS.
- Dilute 5X Reporter Lysis Buffer to 1X.
- Add Reporter Lysis Buffer; incubate 15min.
- Scrape cells.
- Remove cells to a clean tube, vortex and centrifuge for 2min at 4°C for 30min.
- Add 2X Assay Buffer; incubate at 37°C for 30min.
- Stop the reactions.
- Measure absorbance ata 405nm.
|Four (4) steps
||Nine (9) steps
Yeast β-Galactosidase Assay Kit
M-PER Mammalian Protein Extraction Reagent