Thermo Scientific Pierce Formaldehyde Ampules are vials of high-quality, methanol-free formaldehyde for use as a general IHC fixative and reversible amine-crosslinking agent for protein and nucleic acid tissue samples.
The availability of a high-quality, ampule-sealed solution of formaldehyde saves valuable time and eliminates the need and hazards associated with preparing the solution directly from paraformaldehyde. Pierce Formaldehyde is carefully prepared directly from granular paraformaldehyde and sealed under an inert atmosphere in 1 mL and 10 mL ampules. Ampule packaging stabilizes the preparation by protecting the solution from both air oxidation and light, allowing access to "fresh" formaldehyde every time.
- Fresh – formaldehyde solution remains stable and free of contamination in an amber pre-scored ampule.
- Sized Right – package sizes geared for applications ranging from culture-targeted cell fixing to in-cell protein-based applications.
- Convenient Starting Concentration – 16% w/v formaldehyde solution simplifies dilution to the required working concentration.
- Minimizes Waste – 1 mL and 10 mL package sizes allow selection of product that will result in less waste and minimize disposal concerns.
Why formaldehyde? Formaldehyde is a highly reactive, cell-permeable agent that is used by researchers as a reversible protein and nucleic acid crosslinking agent that couples primary amines that are within proximity of each formaldehyde molecule. Cell permeability allows the reagent to readily enter living cells enabling intracellular applications, such as protein interaction discovery or bioimaging. Formaldehyde crosslinks can be reversed simply by heating the sample.
Application-targeted ampule packaging:
The package sizes of the 16% Formaldehyde Solution (formalin) are targeted to both low and high volume users. The appropriate package size is selected based on the most common applications requiring a fresh, methanol-free formaldehyde solution. The 16% (w/v) solution simplifies the dilution for each respective application and the application-directed packaging minimizes waste.
- 1-mL ampules are intended for protein-based in cell applications such as Chromatin Immunoprecipitation (ChIP) or protein interaction discovery.
- 10-mL ampules are intended for bioimaging (high content screening/analysis) such as fixing cells on a culture plate before image analysis.
"Prepared fresh" Sealed in Ampules:
Our formaldehyde solution is prepared as a 16% (w/v) solution of paraformaldehyde (pure granular solid) in distilled/deionized water. Solution stabilization is important because formaldehyde solutions oxidize to formic acid and eventually repolymerize to paraformaldehyde. Most protocols requiring methanol-free formaldehyde suggest that the formaldehyde be "prepared fresh". This formaldehyde solution is sealed in ampules immediately after formulation under an inert atmosphere. Ampule packaging stabilizes the preparation allowing access to "fresh" formaldehyde each time.
Western Blotting Substrates
Blotting Equipment, Film and Membranes
Protein Methods Library: Fixation Strategies and Formulations used in immunohistochemical staining