Thermo Scientific Pierce C18 Spin Columns are ready-to-use centrifuge columns of porous C18 reverse-phase resin with excellent binding and recovery characteristics for peptide sample preparation for mass spectrometry and other methods.
Peptide samples can be purified and concentrated for a variety of applications using Pierce C18 Spin Columns. Each spin column contains a porous C18 reversed-phase resin with excellent binding and recovery characteristics for a wide range of peptide concentrations. The spin column format allows simultaneous processing of multiple samples (10 to 150µL each) in approximately 30 minutes without laborious repeat pipetting or specialized equipment. Pierce C18 Spin Columns can be used effectively for processing peptides derived from 10ng to 30µg of protein. Sensitivity and detection limits are dependent on the downstream application.
- Removes interfering contaminants – significantly reduces signal suppression and improves signal-to-noise ratios and sequence coverage
- Simplifies optimization – processing yields high-quality spectra and is effective for a variety of reverse-phase-compatible contaminates
- Robust – works with a wide variety of load volumes and concentrations; no need to reduce sample volume before application
- Convenient – easy to handle and requires no special equipment to process multiple samples simultaneously (unlike tip-driven systems that require one sample to be processed at a time)
- Sensitive – special C18 resin allows excellent recovery percentages, even at low (sub-picomole) sample loads
Matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization (MALDI) and electrospray ionization (ESI) mass spectrometry (MS) are essential for studying biological compounds because of the high sensitivity and mass accuracy they provide. However, many of the buffers and compounds common to biological samples interfere with both MALDI-MS and ESI-MS, resulting in reduced sensitivity and poor-quality spectra. Pierce C-18 Spin Columns remove interfering contaminants and release peptides in MS-compatible solutions, providing an effective tool that aids in the MS examination of post-translational modifications or for the identification of proteins by peptide mapping.
|Procedure summary for Thermo Scientific Pierce C18 Spin Columns.
ACN = Acetonitrile (Part No. 51101); TFA = Trifluoroacetic Acid (Part No. 28904).
|Effective clean up of mass spectrometry sample with Thermo Scientific Pierce C18 Spin Columns. A. MALDI-TOF MS analysis of an unknown protein isolated from a mitochondrial extract separated by 2D electrophoresis and subjected in-gel tryptic digestion. No predictive signal resulted with this sample. B. Identical analysis of the same sample after also processing it with a Pierce C18 Spin Column. A database search on the processed sample identifies the unknown protein as glutamate dehydrogenase (rattus noregicus) with 58.4% sequence coverage.
Review of sample preparation for mass spectrometry
Pierce C18 Tips