Thermo Scientific Pierce Streptavidin Magnetic Beads accelerate throughput for automated magnetic purification of biotinylated molecules.
These streptavidin magnetic particles are validated and optimized for use with high-throughput magnetic platforms, such as the Thermo Scientific KingFisher 96 and KingFisher Flex Instruments, but the beads also enable premium performance for simple benchtop applications using an appropriate magnetic stand. The iron oxide, super-paramagnetic particles offer superior performance (high capacity and low nonspecific binding) compared with other commercial magnetic beads.
Learn more about automated magnetic separations and Thermo Scientific Automated Solutions.
- High-performance beads – non-aggregating, pre-blocked, iron oxide, superparamagnetic microparticles provide exceptional uniformity for automated HTS and manual applications alike
- Stable immobilization chemistry – streptavidin is immobilized using leach-resistant chemistry
- High capacity – superior quality beads with high binding capacity provide rapid and efficient biomolecule purification from complex samples
- Low non-specific binding – stable, pre-blocked beads provide clean purification products (e.g., antigen eluted in IP with biotinylated antibody) that are compatible with mass spectrometry analysis and other downstream analyses
- Superior performance – nearly three times higher binding capacity than typical beads from other suppliers, allowing the use of smaller amounts per experiment
|Characteristics of Thermo Scientific Pierce Streptavidin Magnetic Beads.
Iron oxide particles covalently coated with a monolayer of recombinant streptavidin protein
(no magnetic memory)
||~55µg biotinylated rabbit IgG per mg of beads;
~3500pmol biotinylated fluorescein per mg of beads
|Note: These streptavidin magnetic bead solutions are NOT tested and certified to be RNase-free.
- Immunoprecipitate antigens (using biotinylated antibodies) from a wide variety of sources
- Co-immunoprecipitate interaction complexes using biotinylated antibodies
- Capture protein-protein interactions in pull-down assays using biotinylated "bait" proteins
- Isolate biotin-labeled DNA-protein complexes from cell or tissue extracts
- Capture single-stranded biotinylated DNA oligos
- Isolate biotinylated PCR products
Pierce Streptavidin Magnetic Beads use a recombinant form of streptavidin with a mass of 53kDa and a near-neutral isoelectric point (pI). The protein is a tetramer having four biotin-binding sites. Unlike avidin, streptavidin has no carbohydrate groups, resulting in low nonspecific binding. The high-affinity interaction between streptavidin and biotin cannot be dissociated efficiently except with very harsh conditions, such as boiling in sample loading buffer for SDS-PAGE or 8M guanidine•HCl, pH 1.5. Consequently, it is often possible to elute binding partners in an interaction complex without also eluting the biotinylated component.
|Better immunoprecipitation results with Pierce Streptavidin Magnetic Beads. MOPC cell lysate (0.75mg per sample) was incubated overnight at 4°C with and without 10µg biotinylated Grp94 antibody. Pierce Streptavidin Magnetic Beads (Part No. 88817) and Invitrogen Dynabeads* MyOne* Streptavidin T1 Beads were added to a 96 deep-well plate (0.5mg or 0.25mg per well). Using the Thermo Scientific KingFisher 96 Instrument, the beads were washed with Tris-buffered saline containing 0.1% Tween-20, incubated 1 hour with the antigen sample/antibody mixture, washed three times and then eluted for 10 minutes at 96°C with SDS-PAGE reducing sample buffer. Eluates were resolved by SDS-PAGE and analyzed by Western Blot with anti-Grp94 antibody. About 0.25mg of Pierce Beads gave the same yield as 0.5mg of MyOne Beads.
|Higher binding capacity with Pierce Streptavidin Magnetic Beads. Thermo Scientific Pierce Streptavidin Magnetic Beads and Invitrogen Dynabeads MyOne Streptavidin T1 Beads were added to a 96 deep-well plate (1mg beads per well). Using the Thermo Scientific KingFisher 96 Instrument, the beads were washed with phosphate-buffered saline containing 0.05% Tween-20. The beads were then incubated for 1 hour with varying amounts of biotinylated rabbit IgG (20 to 225µg). After binding, the beads were washed three times and eluted. Binding was calculated by subtracting the amount of protein in the flow-through from the amount of protein loaded using the Micro BCA Protein Assay (Part No. 23235).
Pierce Glutathione Magnetic Beads
Pierce Magnetic Titanium Dioxide Phosphopeptide Enrichment Kit
MagnaBind Magnetic Beads for manual applications
Thermo Scientific KingFisher Magnetic Particle Processors