Thermo Scientific Pierce Sulfo-NHS-Acetate is a small compound used for blocking primary amines (e.g., lysine side chains). This compound forms stable, covalent amide bonds with amine groups to prevent specific interactions or conjugations.
Sulfo-NHS-Acetate is typically used to prevent polymerization when performing protein crosslinking reactions and when conjugating peptides to carrier proteins for immunogen production. Blocking amines on the peptide allows directed conjugation of carboxylic acids on the peptide to primary amines on the protein using EDC.
- Irreversibly block primary amines
- Perform reactions in standard non-amine-containing buffers at pH 7 or greater
- Prevent polymerization when performing protein crosslinking reactions
- Chemical name: Sulfo-N-hydroxysulfosuccinimide acetate
- Chemical formula: C6H6O7NSNa
- Molecular weight: 259.17
- Form: White to off-white powder, free of foreign material
- Solubility: 10mM produces a clear and colorless solution
Tech Tip #18: Block amino groups to prevent polymer formation in peptide-carrier protein conjugations
Citraconic Anhydride - reversibly blocks amine groups