Thermo Scientific Pierce BM(PEG)2 and BM(PEG)3 are bismaleimide-activated PEG compounds for crosslinking between sulfhydryl (–SH) groups in proteins and other thiol molecules.
The maleimide groups at either end of the PEG2 or PEG3 spacer react specifically and efficiently with reduced sulfhydryls at pH 6.5-7.5 to form stable thioether bonds.
- Irreversibly crosslink reduced cysteine by flexible PEG/PEO spacer arms
- Polyethylene glycol spacer arms help maintain conjugate solubility
- Pure compound with defined structure and molecular weight, ensuring reproducible protein-modification effects
- PEG spacer provides unique advantages, including increased stability, reduced tendency toward aggregation and reduced immunogenicity
- Ideal for small molecule or peptide conjugations
- Maleimides react with –SH groups at pH 6.5-7.5, forming stable thioether linkages
- Reactive groups: maleimide (homobifunctional)
- Reactive toward: sulfhydryl groups
Thermo Scientific Pierce BM(PEG)2 is a pegylated crosslinker having the form maleimide-PEG-maleimide for conjugation between sulfhydryl groups (e.g., cysteines) via a two-unit polyethylene glycol (PEG) spacer arm (14.7 angstroms).
Thermo Scientific Pierce BM(PEG)3 is a pegylated crosslinker having the form maleimide-PEG-maleimide for conjugation between sulfhydryl groups (e.g., cysteines) via a three-unit polyethylene glycol (PEG) spacer arm (17.8 angstroms).
Alternative Names for BM(PEG)n:
- Hermanson, G.T. (2008). Bioconjugate Techniques, Academic Press (Product # 20036)
Non-PEG Bis-maleimide Crosslinkers
Amine-reactive PEG Crosslinkers
Other kinds of PEGylation Reagents